Pages

December 27, 2010

Book Review: The Ball Complete of Home Preserving

Last summer I purchased the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. WOW! What a FABULOUS book. I absolutely love it and have already tried 1/2 dozen recipes from it, including cranapple butter, cranberry raspberry preserves, autumn pear jam, pear mincemeat, peaches in syrup, grape jelly, and probably a few more. The recipes have been on the sweet side (but I plan to adjust that going forward with a different pectin - future blog posting!), but wow, this book just seems to have a TON of recipes in it that I want to try. Every chapter had multiple recipes that looked really tasty and inspiring to me.

Going forward, I'm going to try to be better about taking pictures while making these recipes, as well as showing you the final output, and giving you some tips for ways to use up what you preserve. It's an area I struggle with and want to explore more.

Recipes are included for soft spreads, fruits, salsas, pickles, and more. There is definitely more of a focus on the water bath canning side than the pressure canning side, so it's a great book for a beginner. So far the recipes have proven fairly accurate for volume and timing.

In the meantime, I strongly encourage you to consider buying this book if you are looking for a fairly comprehensive canning guide with safe recipes and a wide variety of choices.

I'm including a link below so it's easy for you to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment